Monday, November 8, 2010

Fabric Frenzy

I love fabric. It comes in all sorts of lush colors, textures, and prints and it works on all sorts of different crafty projects. I love going to the fabric store and just seeing all the gorgeous prints that there are...it totally puts me into a creative mood.

My mom started learning how to quilt this week, and it inspired me to pull out my own small stash of fabric to create this fun layout.  I normally buy the fabric quarters from JoAnn Fabrics when they go on sale and these babies are perfect for scrapbooking!  The patterns are the perfect scale and you get just the right amount of fabric for a price that won't break the bank. :)

This is what I came up with....



I love this layout for so many reasons. It came together fairly quickly with the help of a PageMaps sketch. Using the colors in my photo, I chose the Sultry line from Basic Grey. I loved the bright pinks and greens paired with the rich dark brown color and it just made my photo pop.

I didn't really like the green patterned papers that were in the collection, so I turned to my fabric collection and found this green plaid piece that was perfect. I hemmed the edges of the fabric so that the piece measured 10 inches by 2.5 inches.  I then attached it to my layout with Glue Lines by Glue Dots.


I also had this awesome piece of pink fabric that coordinated with my layout, so I used my Tim Holtz Tattered Florals die from Sizzix to diecut the flower shapes.  I then brushed a fabric stiffener over the tops of all the diecut flowers to stiffen them up. I used Stiffy by Plaid.  You could also apply the fabric stiffener before die-cutting which is what I will probably do next time.  After the fabric dries, you can even punch through it with your handheld punches...it works like butter!


Since the flowers were stiffened I could mold them to give them some dimension and I could even pop up the little flowers using foam squares to give them a bit more dimension.

I diecut the title out of felt using my Quickutz and added it to a chipboard label sticker from Basic Grey.


To add to this look I also added strips of ribbon, touches of metal with a Mickey clip, brads, and tiny staples from the Tim Holtz Tiny Attacher. 

No comments: