Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Tuesday Technique

Hey there friends! I know this post is a tad late but I haven't gone to bed yet so I guess it is still Tuesday on my books. :)

Each day this week I will be showcasing some of my favorite techniques using the Maya Road chipboard cupcake album that I shared yesterday.

Today's techniques (yes you get two today) are covering chipboard with patterned paper and an easy way to add bling to your projects.

We will be creating this cute lil' cupcake...come on and play along!




You will need the following supplies: a chipboard cupcake, 2 pieces of coordinating patterned papers, decorative edged punch, Mod Podge and a paint brush, scissors, exacto knife, sanding block, ink pad (optional), bling, ribbon or ric-rac, and a accent. This particular flower accent is from Prima...isn't it gorgeous?  All these pieces are included with the prize pack I am giving away at the end of the week so come on and let me see your entries!

1.  Cut 2 pieces of coordinating paper large enough for each one to cover 1/2 of the cupcake.

2.  Use the border punch to punch along one edge of the paper that will be the top of your cupcake.




3.  Cover both the front of the chipboard piece and the back of the bottom piece of paper with Mod Podge. This gives you a better seal with the glue than just applying it to one layer.





4. Turn over so that the front of the paper is face down and weight your cupcake down with something heavy to prevent warping. I used a few button jars. Let dry.



5.  Once the piece is dry, keep it flipped upside down and trim around the cupcake with an exacto knife. I found that this works better than scissors because it gives you a straighter line and you don't cut into the letter as much.



6.  Flip the chipboard piece back over and use the sanding block to sand around the edges of your shape to get rid of the rough edges.

7. (optional) If you want to, use an inkpad to rub around the outside edges of your shape. This gives it a more finished look and covers up the white edge that can be exposed while sanding.



8. Add bling to the icing part of the cupcake for sprinkles. Use the Quickutz Quickstick to easily place the bling. 





9. Add ribbon and the flower bling to the bottom of the cupcake to finish it.



I hope you enjoyed this first tutorial and I will be back tomorrow night with my next one. :) Hint: Think glitter! :)

And a note for those of you who tried emailing me your layouts, the email address was incorrect. It does not have a dot in between my first and last name...that was my old work email. So you can email your projects to this email: janeenbeuchel@comcast.netI am going to go correct it on the last post now.

And if you haven't already, don't forget to check out my cupcake challenge on Monday's post and also head back to http://ifitsgroovy.blogspot.com to enter the other challenges. You could win some fabulous prizes for your creativity! :)

1 comment:

Heather Landry said...

Really cute mini album cover! I love how you added the "sprinkles". Neat idea!